Shop Front Refurbishment Subsidy Program
The Australian Government has advised Council that a further $1M will be provided to Council as part of their recently announced drought support measures. These funds will be administered through another round of the Drought Communities Program Extension. Quilpie Shire Council has resolved to allocate some of this funding to a “Shop Front Refurbishment Program”.
To this end, Expressions of Interest were recently called with significant interest shown by business owners. As such Council is now calling for firm applications for this program. As stated in the Expression of Interest document, the intent of the proposal is to improve the aesthetics and or functionality of the shopfronts in our towns.
In broad terms, the Scheme would involve the following steps:
- Council identifying all business owners that are genuinely interested in participating in the scheme (that was the purpose of the previous letter and EOI forms);
- Council inviting applications from business owners to participate in the scheme if it proceeds (this step).
- Council and those successful business owners signing an agreement confirming their commitment to the scheme.
The following criteria will apply to the program:
- Council will provide a 50% subsidy to the maximum value of $10,000 for any one shopfront.
Example 1 Total project cost $16,000 = $8,000 Council subsidy
Example 2 Total project cost $32,000 = $10,000 Council subsidy (maximum allowable)
- Works could include repairs, painting, landscaping, signage, remodelling and disability access.
- Only the external shopfront facing a street will be eligible and not the entire building.
The MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS of the subsidy scheme are:
- That all works must be completed by November 2020. This is a requirement of the Australian Government and is not negotiable by Council. To ensure this is met all projects must commence by 01 July 2020.
- That all works are undertaken in accordance with accepted standards and any approvals that may be required will need to be in place.
- That the funds from Council be used to pay wages, suppliers and contractors based locally within Quilpie Shire wherever possible.
- That all materials must be purchased locally within Quilpie Shire wherever possible.
The subsidy payment will be made at the following times:
- 50% at commencement of works on site or evidence of materials purchased; and
- The balance 50% at completion of the works and subject to all contractual conditions being fulfilled.
Please note that the provision of paid invoices demonstrating local procurement of goods and services is a mandatory condition of any subsidy payment.
Applications will be assessed by Council on a merit based approach. Applications that do not have sufficient details of the project scope and estimates or quotations will not be considered.
Successful applicants will be required to enter into a contract with Council committing them to meeting all requirements of the subsidy scheme.
To allow time for quotations to be requested and received for submission to Council with your application, applications will close on Friday 06 March 2020.
Should anyone require assistance in obtaining quotes, or believe there may be merit in Council facilitating joint quotations for activities such as painting, you are urged to contact Council’s Chief Executive Officer, Dave Burges, on 4656 0500 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Applications for participation in the program must be on the official application form which can be downloaded here.