Administrative Action Complaints

An Administrative Action Complaint (complaint) is an expression of dissatisfaction, orally or in writing, by a person who is directly affected by an administrative action of Council or its staff (including contractors and volunteers), including a failure to take action.

Administrative matters relate to the actions or decisions made by council administration, but do not include:

  • Requests for information;
  • Requests for service (where you want Council to take action in relation to a service or product provided by Council eg, barking dog, leaking water pipe, pot hole, road maintenance, etc);
  • Suggestions, enquiries or petitions;
  • Comments submitted during formal consultation or negotiation processes; or
  • Councillor conduct.

Section 268(2) of the Local Government Act 2009 defines an ‘administrative action complaint’ as a complaint that:
(a) Is about an administrative action of a local government, including the following, for example –
(i) A decision, or a failure to make a decision, including a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision;
(ii) An act, or failure to do an act;
(iii) The formulation of a proposal or intention;
(iv) The making of a recommendation; and
(b) Is made by an affected person.

Read more about Council’s Administrative Action Complaints process below:

How do I make an Administrative Action complaint?

There are a number of ways you can lodge a complaint:

What information will I need to provide?

You will need to provide the following details when you lodge a complaint:

  • The nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible.
  • Detail of any loss or detriment you have suffered.
  • If the incident has been reported to any other agency or authority.
  • The remedy you are seeking.
  • Any supporting information and documentation, including names and contact details of anyone else who is able to support the complaint.
  • Your contact details*.

*You may remain anonymous but please be aware that Council may need to contact you for further details to properly investigate the complaint. Council may refuse to investigate an anonymous complaint if insufficient information is provided.

Do I have to put my complaint in writing?

No, you can lodge your complaint in writing or verbally. If you have a difficult or more serious complaint, we encourage you to lodge it in writing with all details set out. This can be done either by letter, fax, using our complaint form, email or by using the online complaint form on our website.

What response can I expect when I lodge my complaint?

Council takes complaints seriously. We will acknowledge your complaint within 7 days from receiving the complaint. After 10 working days, if you have not received a response please call Council on (07) 4656 0500.

How long will it take for Council to deal with my complaint?

Council aims to resolve complaints as quickly and efficiently as possible. The length of time taken will depend on how complex the matter is. The relevant officer in Council will keep you informed of the progress of the investigation.

Can I lodge a complaint on behalf of someone else?

Yes, but if you lodge a complaint on behalf of an affected person, we will respond directly to that person affected, not to you as the person acting. If you provide a letter of authority confirming that you are acting on behalf of the affected person, we will respond to you instead.

I need help to make a complaint.

Where necessary, a Council officer may help you by providing information on how to make a complaint, including how it should be documented. The aim is to help clarify your issue and the outcome(s) you seek.

If I make a complaint, can Council refuse to investigate?

Yes, Council can refuse to investigate a complaint if:

  • The complaint is considered to be trivial, frivolous or vexatious, lacks substance or credibility
  • The complainant does not have sufficient direct interest in the administrative action the subject of the complaint; or
  • It is made using rude, aggressive, abusive or threatening language, or where the complainant is physically harassing or stalking a Council officer(s).
  • The complainant is pursuing the complaint through an alternative review process, or it has already been reviewed through an alternate review process.

Are there any costs associated with lodging a complaint?

No, there is no fee or charge.

How can I take further action?

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your concerns, you have the right to take your complaint to an external agency, such as the Queensland Ombudsman or Judicial Review.

Where can I find more information?

Council has documented policy and procedure on the the handling of complaints:

Administrative Action Complaints Policy

Administrative Action Complaints Procedure